Independence Farmers’ Market has announced an opening day of May 6 and updated its 2022 schedule of events.
All events are on Fridays from 9 a.m.-1 p.m. unless noted otherwise. The market vendoers will be on Courthouse Street while construction continues on the permanent market at the town park.
First Friday Cooking Days will start when the market moves back to Town Park later this year.
Some of the dates feature IFM Kids Bucks, which are sponsored by the market and local donors. They are available at each market while Grayson County schools are closed. The first 20 kids to the market each get a $5 coupon to spend on fresh fruits, vegetables and eggs.
The Virginia Tech Family Nutrition (VNFP) program also offers Kids Bucks. The first 30 kids to visit the market will each receive a $10 coupon to spend on fresh fruits, vegetables and eggs.
The 2022 schedule includes:
- April 8 — Preseason
- vendor meeting, 11 a.m.-2 p.m., GATE Center
- May 6 — Grand Opening and Mother’s Day Craft Fair
- June 17 — Fiber Day
- June 24 — Kids’ Day. Free fun for the whole family and VFNP Kids Bucks
- July 1 — First Fridays Cooking Day (only if market is back in Town Park)
- July 4 (Monday) — Town of Independence Parade and festivities
- July 8 — Wellness Day; join Virginia Department of Health and area health professionals for free health information
- July 15 — VFNP Kids Bucks
- July 22 — Berry Festival; enter the berry pie contest and win $100; enjoy delicious sorbet to benefit the market and everything berry-related. Co-sponsored by River Ridge Organics.
- July 29 — Take a Break from the Interstate Hwy 21 Yard Sale weekend.
- Aug. 5 — Tomato Festival; free tomato tasting, enter the Monster Tomato contest and/or the salsa contest and win $100. Also: Cooking Day and VFNP Kids Bucks.
- Aug. 9-14 — National Farmers Market Week
- Aug. 12, 10 a.m.-6 p.m., and Aug. 13, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. — Grayson County Fair, Bottomley’s Evergreens, Elk Creek
- Aug. 19 — Christmas in August Craft Day & Fiber Day; support local artisans and shop local
- Aug. 26 — VFNP Kids Bucks
- Sept. 2 — First Fridays Cooking Day
- Sept. 11 — Pepper Day; enjoy a free pepper tasting
- Sept. 23 — Apple Festival; enter the apple dessert contest, win $100; join in the community cider pressing.
- Oct. 7 — Squashtober and Cooking Day; taste the vast array of winter and summer squash; last cooking day of the season
- Oct. 14 — End of the market season.
- Nov. 25, 11 a.m.-2 p.m. — First Winter Market and Christmas Tree Fundraiser
- Dec. 3 (Saturday) — Second Winter Market and Chili Cook-Off; enter the chili contest and win $100; stay for the Christmas parade and free town events.