MOUTH OF WILSON — If they weren’t already close to heaven atop Virginia’s highest peak, mountain music fans found themselves in paradise on June 18 at the Wayne C. Henderson Music Festival and Guitar Competition.
A huge crowd turned out on a perfect spring day at Grayson Highlands State Park for the annual event, named for the local master of both playing and making guitars. The festival returned after a two-year hiatus.
In addition to the contest and scholarship presentations to young musicians, the day included performances by Henderson and his friends, Mike Snider, Loose Strings Band, Willard Gayheart & Dori Freeman, Twin Creeks Stringband and Eddie Pennington.
Guitar contest winners included:
• 1st Place: Ben Cockman, Sherills Ford, N.C.
• 2nd Place: Eric Hardin, Warrensville, N.C.
• 3rd Place: Alex Rubin, Cambridge, Mass.
• 4th Place: Allen Shadd, Lake Wylie, S.C.
• 5th Place: Austin Mikeal, Jefferson, N.C.